Hopefully, if you’re a regular reader here, you don’t have me categorised as a conspiracy theorist. I’ve made it clear I’m a follower of Hanlon’s Razor, and don’t spend too much time trying to understand the “why?” of situations I stand no chance of parsing.
We don’t need to assume motives to extrapolate the present to the future though. Frankly, after the last 21 months of thinking to ourselves, “surely they won’t do that here?” about policies that were subsequently imposed on us shortly thereafter, we should expect more to come.
At some point, we probably ought to take notice of this trend and use it to predict the future. Even more so for those of us in The Lucky Country as we’ve only moved on slightly from the old joke;
As the plane lands at Sydney airport, the captain announces, “welcome to Kingsford Smith International Airport. The local temperature is 32 degrees and the local time is, oh, about 1992”.
We’ve managed to close the time difference these days, and we’re now only about six to nine months behind the developed world. In theory, this is great news; we can look at what’s happening in the northern hemisphere, see what to expect, and learn from their mistakes.
And, if you believe that, I’ve got a Harbour Bridge and an effective and perfectly safe vaccine I can sell you.
So, a little early this year, here’s my predictions for our next year:
Bill’s Predictions for 2022
- New South Wales will remove all local covid-related restrictions for everyone on December 15th, regardless of vaccine status, as promised.
- Following an increase of cases in late January, New South Wales will recommence the daily theatre of public health officials giving press conferences.
- Completely unrelated to the virus, hospitals will begin to see spikes in admissions for a range of issues, including late diagnoses of cancer. Victoria has already seen a foreshadow of what is happening in the USA.
- Australian states will revert to lockdown restriction in May.
- A high profile public official known for their lockdown zealotry will be murdered, most likely in the USA but possibly in Victoria.
- The NASDAQ will blow past previous record highs. Oil and gas, uranium, gold and Bitcoin will rise even faster. Inflation will continue on its perma-transitory journey and central bank interest rates will stay static. Lending rates will rise.
- There will be several high profile on-pitch collapses of previously fit athletes.
- Vaccine passports will be introduced in most western countries, eventually conforming to a UN standard. Other useful data will be added to the certificate.
- A smaller country, perhaps Singapore, will trial Central Bank Digital Currency.
- Several long haul flights will crash in mysterious circumstances. Maintenance diligence during 2020/21 will be found to be the eventual cause.
- Alec Baldwin will open a successful YouTube channel advocating the 2nd Amendment. His wife will translate for South American viewers.
- Petty crime rates will begin to rise significantly during the year.
- There will be a copycat spate of violent riots during the northern hemisphere summer.
- Taiwan will propose a referendum for 2023 to consider China’s proposal for reunification.
- President Kamala Harris is sworn in following her use of the 25th amendment after several conspicuous public dementia episodes by Joe Biden.
Who knows, eh? Things I would have thought were conspiracy theories and paranoia previously, have been our reality for nearly two years now.
Rather in the way I sometimes put people I like on my Deadpool competition selection, I’m very much hoping all of the above is just silly speculation.
Let’s review the list in 12 months, shall we.
Well, that didn’t take long. Already, the epidemiologists are calling for a return to
personal relevance covid restrictions.
I can’t help thinking epidemiologists in 2020/21 are the equivalent of Palo Alto engineers suddenly discovering their high status job has instantly raised them from a 2/10 to an 8/10 with hot women. Who can blame them for not wanting that to end?